August 5, 2010

The Proposal (Gaanapriyan Tales- Part 1)

Ahem ahem ahem... :P
For the first time, since I started blogging (though, I just started it yesterday), I am worried about the fact that my parents do have access to this blog. :P  ;)

People, I guess, can actually sniff it out when a girl is of marriageable age! And where a few of my classmates have already walked down the aisle, and a few are getting ready to do the same, whenever we friends gather around, MARRIAGE definitely becomes one of the most popular topics. :) And of course, when you go to Kerala, if u have completed schooling, people have marriage as a topic to drag you into! :-|

The first thing that another friend of mine asked me when she met me in Delhi after the Gandhi Bhawan internship was "Tell me about the marriage proposals!!!" :D  ..

:-\ :-\

Well, there weren't many. But there definitely was one INTERESTING proposal to speak of.

Gaanapriyan, as I have already mentioned in the previous article, is a man aged about 60. Was a journalist by profession. A writer too. Has written a book named Chinthaarama in Malayalam, which I tried to read, but could not due to the heavy weight of Malayalam words used therein. :-|

Anyways, I got intrigued with this character when I got to know that he was not completely sane. And since the day of my knowledge about that, I had tried to spend as much time as possible with him. We used to discuss a lot on intellectual stuff. :P And general issues too.

He was the one who gave me the nickname *Devu*. :) And I am thankful to him for that!

One day, I was singing a lullaby for Nansu (the then youngest inmate of Gandhi Bhawan who was just 7 months old at that time). After I completed singing, he said that he loves a song in particular. And he started to sing :(  the following one: Aayiram kannumaayi kaathirunnu ninne njan
       Ennil ninnum parannakannoru *painkili* malar thenkili...
Means- *oh little bird, who flew away from me, I was waiting for u with a thousand eyes...*

Gaanapriyan Sir said, " I was waiting with a thousand eyes. :) For you..." That made me so happy. Such a nice gesture from an Uncle. :)
Now I know from where he got the inspiration for suggesting the name Painkili  :-| :-( . And one more important point to note here is that, even though his name is Gaanapriyan (which means one who loves songs), he has no relation anywhere with songs! He is Pathetic when it comes to music :-| .

Hmmm... So, when Nansu went to sleep I took her back to where she belongs and came back for lunch. There Gaanapriyan Sir met me and said- "Your Sister-in-Laws would love you."
 I was like- :-o "Who???  My who?? I don't have any... I mean, I am not even seeing anyone! :-o, Who are you talking about???"
Gaanapriyan Sir- "ME :-)"
BAM!
Me- "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!! Are you kidding?!!!  Eeshwara!  Hahhahahah!!! Ohkay! Now, take back all those words! NOW! Or else I will complain to Vijayalakshmi Chechi ( My roommate)."

And I ran towards the kitchen in search of Vijayalakshmi Chechi, to share with her the 'proposal'! I was in splits! Vijayalakshmi Chechi also started laughing and was amused by this. She couldn't believe that Gaanapriyan Sir could actually say something like that to me. Even I couldn't. Although I was laughing, there was one person all tensed and worried- Gaanapriyan Sir :P . He, I guess, did not expect such an insane reaction from me. ;) . And he did waste half of the lunch served to him ( which is a big thing, because he is a complete foody! In fact, a combination of deadliest foodies, he is.)

The next day, people did notice that I was not talking to him. And one of the office people (Sarojini chechi) asked the reason. And I looked at him, and said that he very well knows what the reason is. And he said, " Yes.. I know. And I take back my words." To which I politely replied, " If you take them back, we can again be on talking terms. :) "

And we were...


To be contd...

P.S. :- I really liked the proposal! ;) Though, I wish it had been a younger, saner guy in his place. The very gesture was so unique. The way he proposed...  It was so different, unique and not at all clichéd. And the fact that he was much decent than other so-called sane guys even when it comes to looking at a girl, is what made me talk to him even after the proposal :-)

4 comments:

Om said...

ahem ;)

Raj said...

HA HA...

So you guys know now how to propose abha....

u dont need to tell her that I LV U...u need to tell that my bro or sister will be so happy to see u as their bhabi :P even u can tell my neice will be so happy to call u as .......???

What an idea sir ji :P

Abha Sreekala Vijayan said...

@Raj

Not at all! That won't work with me. This formula became inapplicable since the moment Gaanapriyan Sir used it. :)

Lolith said...

Devutti oru sambhavam tanne....atho prasthanamo....????? :P