July 14, 2011

The good old man.

That evening I was walking towards my dance class, when I saw this woman talking to the watchman in Malayalam. Asking him to bring 'the old man', who was crossing  the gate in front of her, back to her. And of course, the watchman in Delhi, the typical goorkha, didn't understand a single word. It was November end, hence a bit cold too. And the old man was wearing a dhoti and a ganji. I thought that the woman might be his daughter. And maybe, they were new in Delhi. The proud citizen that I am, I told the woman to *walk fast, and bring him back*. And perhaps, after that she was shocked to see me talking to her in malayalam, and was giving me the expressions the goorkha gave her.! :-|

I had to run (just to make the point here, I hate running :| )to get to the old man, and I stopped in front of him. And yes, he didn't stop even when I tried to stop him by blocking his way. The way our army men keep on marching at the parade ground on Republic Day, this man kept on marching towards I don't know where!  And again I had to run and shout, Appooppa(Grandpa)!!! That did make him look at me. I started marching with him. And asked him where he was headed, to which he answered like Revathy- *There* . :-|

To me, he was amusing. And yes, by that time, I did realise that the woman trying to make him stop was his maid. I told him, " Arre!! You have to rush back! Didn't you hear those people in the huge car, waiting there for you?" To which he stopped on the way, looked back, and asked like a child of 5, " There are people waiting for me?"
[What's wrong with kids and Old aged people?? Why do they have to look deep into your eyes while asking such complicated questions? ]
I had to blink and then tell him, "yeah of course!! They are waiting for you."

And we started moving towards his home. The maid was giving me directions, and telling me that she is not supposed to unlock the doors, or else, he tries to get out of house.  And when we were just a block away from his house, a Qualis came in our direction and he halted and waved at it, believing that to be the car I mentioned.  I immediately told him that's not the car. And I took him to his home. Luckily ground floor. And I asked the woman to take him into the house. She looked at me, and said, he won't come with me.

And again, there I was, trying to fool that old man, by telling him, "Oh see! They waited for you so long and got tired and are waiting for you in the house. Go and tell them to come out and take you for a long drive." He looked at me. And believed what I said. With hesitation he tried to see whether he could see those waiting for him in the house, without stepping inside. But I urged him, and he went in. And the maid ran into the house and spat! Locked it. And the man, yelled! Asked me to open the door for him, and , then as if, he understood, that he could not get out now, he walked away...

And, I stood there for a few moments. And then, had to walk back towards my dance class. I was already late.  To me that was kind of a flashback. Something similar happened at Gandhi Bhawan.

I did see that man sometimes. Well... Lost in himself, most of the times. In white shirts, most of the times. The shirts had brown dots and marks, evidently the sign of dead bed-bugs. *goosebumps*. One day. I was at the office. And he came there with his suitcase ( a rugged one). And said, he wanted to meet the Secretary. He wanted to meet his daughters. He is no more ready to bear with a life of an orphan. he has to go.

Nothing new. :) Happens all the time.

I went to him, and told him the Secretary was not there. He had gone out ( a lie, again.). And, nope. This wasn't enough a bait for him. :) He didn't buy that and stood there, and said, " I shall wait for him.". Okay.  I said, " Oh sure... You can wait. definitely. Why don't we both sit down, talk a bit, and then, I'll take you to the office and show you that Somarajan Sir( the secretary) is actually not here." He nodded and placed his suitcase on his side and sat at the bench and I started asking all kinds of non-sense questions. "When did you come here? Why did you come here? Do you like this place? Do you like the people here? Do you like the food? blah blah blah." And the man, sat silently, not even looking at me. Looked like I was talking to the pillar behind him, and he was waiting for his call. :-|


When I heard the engine of the ambassador, I understood that Somarajan Sir had actually left, and I told him, "Okay! Now, let us go to the office. But, if you don't see Somarajan Sir, you will go back to your dorm. okay?" Again he didn't say anything,  and walked ahead of me into Somarajan Sir's cabin, and noticing his absence, without saying anything else, came out of there and again decided to sit and wait for him. I insisted on him leaving the office and moving to the dorm. But he was adamant!

That was not irritating but cute. And he was like a baby. I told him, if he didn't move, I would steal his suitcase. :P And to which he replied-"I DARE YOU" ! X-(
Wohoo!! :P heheh.. I picked up the suitcase and held it with me. And asked him, if he was ready to come with me. He was amused at my act and still persisted on not moving from there. :-| And I told him that if he didn't move I would not leave him. :P :P :P That did the trick. He stood up and started moving out. I kept on tailing behind him. Now he was irritated and started complaining to the medical in-charge there that I was bothering him. :P No avail there too, for him.

And slowly he moved towards his dorm. I placed the suitcase under his bed. And after I came out of the room, he came after me and asked me if I knew to write or not. I affirmed and he asked me to write the names of his three daughters in a crumpled pocket diary he was carrying. I obliged.
After that we used to meet quite often. He was like a baby. Always asking for the same thing. He wanted to meet his daughters, who never wanted to meet him.

I guess, it was the month of November 2010, when from the Sneharajyam magazine of Gandhi Bhawan I got to know about the demise of the good old man, Naanu Pillai (for me Naanu-appuppan). His last wish was to meet his daughters, who needed nothing more than his property and money. They did not turn up to meet him before his death.

They say in malayalam, "Innu njan, naale nee." (If today it's me, tomorrow it'll be you). You get what you give.

By december 2010, the old man who lived near my place also expired. Both of them were unique. Both of them had kids who did not have time for them. I know people say that in the fast moving city life, to slow down for an old life is difficult and people should understand that. What I say is that I don't understand as to why one cannot slow down a bit for the life who gave you life, at least!!!

As is illustrated in William Shakespeare's 'All the world's a stage',
              ".. Last scene of all,
               That ends this strange eventful history,
               Is second childishness and mere oblivion,
                Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything."
That's when they need love and compassion more than ever. They are hungry for the same, and if children fail to provide the same, they fail themselves above all. Pity the conscience that is not moved by the plight of the unloved ones...






3 comments:

Lolith said...

Good One...Keep it up!!

And its so true....!!!

Jayaraj said...

Good work...

Devi said...

Interesting piece&& nt at all boring..while reading the blog many bits of similar scenes flashed past me.Good that u wrote about thie relevant topic.:)