November 13, 2010

Ente Sundarikku... (To my beautiful...)

I asked -Kaanana chaayayilaadu meykkaan, Njanum varatteyo ninte koode...??
To which came the reply--- *Porenda porenda chandrike nee, aaranya chaarthilekkente koode*  :) :)


She was the most graceful woman I had ever seen in my life... 83 year old Bhargaviyamma. A retired teacher, she was. Mother of a Malayalam serial and cinema actor. She was an inmate of Gandhi Bhawan. Before you cook up anything on domestic cruelty, just a clarification, that nothing of that sort had happened. Her physical unfitness, diseases, and her inability to do anything without the help of a second person disturbed her a lot. And she forced her son to bring her to Gandhi Bhawan. At first her demand was met with denial, but my Teacheramma forced her way out. She didn't want to be a liability on her son and his family in her last years. 


Anyways, there wasn't even a single day in my Gandhi Bhawan life when I would have missed to visit her, except for the day when I fell ill, terribly. That day, Sumathiyamma (Teacheramma's roommate) bumped into my room on the directions of my Sundari! :P 


She had beautiful hazel eyes... Her smile could lighten up my whole day. She used to enlighten me on various literary works like Chandaala bhikshuki, Abhijnanashaakunthalam, etc... 83 is of course a young age to remember a lot of things.. :-P   But my loving Sundari used to put a lot of effort in trying to remember what she had learnt and taught, to clear my doubts. :)


We used to sing various Malayalam songs for each other! :) That was our favourite timepass... 
I used to simply love her company.  I used to tease her by calling her Sundari (Beautiful) all the time. And she used to BLUSH! :D 


Oh god!! :) She was indeed very pretty... And her cheeks used to get all this red colour from, I dunno where! 


There are so many things I wish to write about her, in here.. And I can't believe this much piece has taken more than two and a half months for me.


Her son called me up, I guess, on 30th of september. And informed me about her demise that took place on I guess, 26th September. 


Since the Gandhi Bhawan experience, whenever I think of going to Kerala, Gandhi Bhawan comes as one of the major reasons for my prospective visit. And whenever I used to think of Gandhi Bhawan, I could never imagine a Gandhi Bhawan without my Sundari... We used to talk on phone too. I had, I don't know what to call it, privilege?, of talking to her just 3-4 days before she died. But that wasn't much of a talk either. She was very ill. But she did recognise my voice. 


She too was like a kid to me! :) hahaha.. when I used to scold her for not coming out of her room, she used to sit like a 5 year old, with her eyes gazing into mine, and with a sly smile to make me cool down.

I miss her... 



No comments: